Work At Home Crafts:
You Deserve To Start A Floral Design Business!
Another fantastic work at home crafts career--become a floral designer!
Floral designers--also called “florists”--cut live, dried, or silk flowers and other greenery and arrange them into displays of various sizes and shapes.
Are you running or starting a floral design business? Tell us about it!
These craftsworkers design their displays by selecting...
...flowers, containers, and ribbons and arranging them into bouquets...
...corsages, centerpieces of tables, wreaths, and the like for weddings...
funerals, holidays, and other special occasions.
Some floral designers also use accessories such as...
...balloons, candles, toys, candy, and gift baskets as part of their displays.
Job duties vary. Many floral designers do work that specializes in custom orders and also handling large orders for weddings, caterers, or interior designers.
Floral designers may discuss with customers the arrangement or work from a written order. They note the occasion, the customer’s preferences, the price of the order, the time the floral display or plant is to be ready, and the place to which it is to be delivered.
For special occasions, floral designers usually will help set up floral decorations. Floral designers also will prearrange a few displays to have available for last-minute orders.
Some floral designers also assist interior designers in creating live or silk displays for hotels, restaurants, and private residences.
If you’re thinking that this work at home craft may fit your style, here are some of the highlights:
- Self-employed floral designers must handle the various parts of running their own businesses-- selecting and purchasing flowers, hiring and supervising staff, and maintaining financial records.
- Home-based designers also can have side businesses by running a gift shop or wedding consultation service..
- Some designers teach workshops for amateur gardeners or others with an interest in floral design.
- About 33 percent of all florists are self-employed.
- A home-based floral designer might want to strike out on her own in the Internet. In this market, you may fill small custom orders for special occasions and funerals.
- Work at home crafts opportunities should be good in Internet floral shops as sales of floral arrangements from e-commerce is growing. The prearranged displays and gifts available online appeals to consumers because of the convenience and because prices tend to be lower as compared to independent floral shops.
- Floral designers can work in comfortable and well-lit spaces at home, although working outdoors sometimes is required.
- They also may frequently make short trips delivering flowers, setting up arrangements for special events, and get flowers and other supplies.
Next: Floral Design Business Tips
Related: Learn to Make Paper Flowers
Have A Business in Floral Design?
Are you starting or running a home business in floral design? What's your specialty--wedding, event planning, etc.? What do you like about it? What challenges or successes, if any, have you encountered?
Tell us all about it!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
For more Work at Home Crafts ideas, visit the Selling Crafts page.
Return to the Great Home Based Business Ideas home page.